Include referral links in your MailChimp newsletter
You can add your customer's unique referral code to your Mailchimp newsletter using merge tags. To use this, you will need to request a points export from us (contact email@example.com) and have a Mailchimp account.
Importing the referral links into a Mailchimp list and creating the campaign:
- Log into Mailchimp and click 'Lists' to create your list.
- Click on 'Create List'.
- Fill in the following fields about this list. I called mine "Referral Link Newsletter". Giving it a good name helps you recall what the list is for. Once completed, scroll down and click on 'Save'.
- Once you have created the list, click on 'Import Customers' to add customers to your list.
- Choose to import a CSV file and click on 'Next' in the lower right-hand corner.
- Click on the 'Browse' button and locate your export file. Then again click on 'Next' in the bottom right.
- Next, it will ask you to match the columns from the CSV into Mailchimp. You can 'Skip' the points and referral_code fields, and simply click on 'Edit' next to the referral_url field to create a column for it. (Or you can choose to keep the 'points' if you want to include a customer's point balance in this email.)
- You will want to create a new column name and change the field type to 'website', as you want it to be a link! Save it and once all the columns turn green, you are good to click 'Next' again.
- Now you are all set to import, so click 'Import' in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Now on your newly created list, click on 'Settings'. In the drop-down menu, click on 'List fields and *| MERGE |* tags'.
- You can change the tag for the 'referral_url' field to make the tag clearer when using it in your campaign, then 'Save' the changes. (I used REFERRAL)
- Now it's time to make your campaign. Click on 'Campaign' in the upper left-hand menu.
- Click on 'Create Campaign'.
- Choose the type of Campaign you want to make.
- Next, it will ask you which list you want to send this campaign. Select the list, and click 'Next' in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Next, complete the fields to provide some information for your campaign. Once completed, click 'Next' in the bottom right-hand corner.
- Edit the content of your campaign and add whatever you want it to say here. If you want to add the referral link, click on the 'Merge Tag' drop down, then select the referral_url field (or whatever you called it in step 8) and it will add the appropriate code. Once you are done designing the email, click 'Next'.
- When you are all done with the checklist, click on 'Send' or click on 'Schedule' if you want to send it at a later time or date.
- High five! You're done!