What we’re covering
- What happens when you cancel a referral
- How to cancel a referral
If you detect that a referral may be fraudulent, you can cancel it in the Referrals section of your Smile Admin.
What happens when you cancel a referral
Cancelling a pending referral
A referral is marked "pending" when an Advocate’s Friend has entered their email to claim their referral reward code, but has not yet placed an order with their code.
Cancelling a referral in the "pending" state will:
- Prevent the Advocate from receiving a referral code if the Friend places an order.
- Mark the reward code that has been issued to the Friend as cancelled in the customer Panel. They will not be able to copy this code from the Panel.
- For Shopify merchants, Shopify discount codes generated by Smile for the Friend will be voided so they can no longer be used.
Cancelling a completed referral
A referral is marked “completed” when an Advocate’s Friend has entered their email to claim their referral code and the Friend has placed an order.
Cancelling a referral in the "completed" state will:
- Cancel the Advocate and Friend’s reward code.
- Adjust the points balance for the Friend and Advocate if they earned points for the referral.
- For Shopify merchants, reward codes generated by Smile for the Advocate and Friend will be voided.
How to cancel a referral
To cancel a referral, click on the row of the referral you’d like to cancel in the “All Referrals” grid.
Select “Cancel referral”. Once you’ve cancelled a referral it will be moved to the “cancelled” referrals column in your “All Referrals” grid.
📝 Pro Tip:
A referral cancellation cannot be undone, so make sure you’ve selected the right referral before you cancel.
Note: there are three instances where a referral will automatically be cancelled by Smile:
- If you remove a customer from your program, any of their pending referrals will be cancelled.
- If a customer is deleted, any of their pending referrals will be cancelled.
- If an order is refunded, any referrals associated with that order will be cancelled.